Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Good Man

...Matthan the father of Jacob; and Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary; of her was born Jesus who is called Christ.
Mt.1:15,16


Saint Matthew starts his gospel with the genealogy of Jesus on Joseph's side.   The lineage starts with Abraham and follows forty-two men, some famous, some infamous and some obscure, never heard of in the Bible again.

The last three men in Jesus' genealogy are Matthan, Jacob and Joseph, Jesus' great-grandfather, grandfather and father. All that is known of these men is summed up in Joseph, a good man, good enough to be chosen as the protector of the infant Jesus.  Good men don't come from nowhere.  They are raised by good men.  I look at Joseph's father, Jacob, and grandfather, Matthan, and wonder.

I have just become a grandfather for the first time.  My granddaughter Anna in some ways is already the product of who I am.  As she grows I hope to have a continuing influence on who she grows up to be.  Am I good enough, as good as Matthan the grandfather of Joseph?  I hope so...

Lord Jesus, you were raised by Joseph, a good man.  Help me be a good man so I may have the best influence on Anna, my beautiful granddaughter.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: