Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Are Those

All Saints Day

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
Mt.5:12


Jesus has just started His great Sermon on the Mount by listing the nine beatitudes.  Eight of the nine beatitudes carry a promise for the future; "they shall be...".  Jesus sees the full picture which includes life with Him after death.  Because of this He can say the poor, the mourning, the hungry and thirsty, the persecuted can all be happy.  Their present suffering is not the end of the story.  There is a future for the saints that is happiness beyond imagining.

I get too focused on the suffering of this life and miss the source of my joy as promised by Jesus in the beatitudes.  I need to lift my gaze and see what Jesus sees over the horizon of my life here on earth, a victorious life filled with the joy of being close to Him.  When I see this truth that joy in part is with me today.  I am destined to be one of the saints.

Thank you Jesus for Your wonderful promise of happiness.  Today I walk in the knowledge and joy of that promise.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: