Friday, October 28, 2011

Pray

Jesus went out into the hills to pray; and he spent the whole night in prayer to God. When day came he summoned his disciples and picked out twelve of them; he called them ‘apostles’
Lk.6:12,13


Jesus is about to start His ministry with a hand-picked team of twelve.  Even He doesn't rely on His own abilities to do this but calls on His Father in a night of prayer.  Jesus did nothing without praying first.

It seems holiness and prayer go hand-in-hand.  When I think about holy people I know like Bishop Fulton Sheen, Mother Theresa, Sister Briege McKenna and Pope John Paul II, they all spent hours each day in front of the blessed sacrament.  The busier they became, the more time in adoration they spent. 

I've never spent a night in prayer.  If I'm serious about my desire for holiness, perhaps I need to pray more...

Lord Jesus, in Your name I call on the Holy Spirit.  Come Holy Spirit and teach me how to pray.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: