Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hear and Do

As Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said, ‘Happy the womb that bore you and the breasts you sucked!’ But he replied, ‘Still happier those who hear the word of God and keep it!’
Lk.11:27,28

A spontaneous cry of adoration has been called out from a woman in the crowd.  Even though the cry was a compliment to Mary His mother, Jesus uses the moment to make a greater point about true happiness... hearing and doing the Word of God.

Hear and do.  It's a simple formula but like all simple formulas, it takes discipline to achieve.  I have to stop taking and listen.  Even before that, I have to make time to listen.  Then comes the doing.  Sometimes the doing goes against what I want to do.  It means being close enough to God to hear Him and trusting Him enough to obey Him.  This affects every moment of my day, ...every moment of this day.

Lord Jesus, You are my way to true happiness.  Speak that I may hear and give me courage that I may do.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: