Thursday, September 1, 2011

A New Start

When Simon Peter saw this he fell at the knees of Jesus saying, ‘Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man.’ For he and all his companions were completely overcome by the catch they had made;
Lk.5:8,9


Jesus has just caused a sensation by directing Peter, James and John to a bumper haul of fish after they had spent all night catching nothing.  Peter, overwhelmed by what has happened, falls to his knees before Jesus and makes his confession of sinfulness.

To a degree, Jesus set this scene up.  What's the best way to get the attention of fishermen?  Give them a haul so big it almost sinks their boats.  There must have been something in Peter that Jesus recognised as the making of a saint.  Underneath all the rough, loudmouthed fisherman's exterior Jesus saw a man who would fall to his knees and acknowledge his brokenness.  What a great  way to start a new relationship with God! 

Actually it's the only way to start a new relationship with God.  This can start today.  As saint Paul writes, "now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation." 2Cor.6:2.  When was the last time I went to confession...?

Lord Jesus, I am a sinful man.  Heal me Lord so I may draw closer to You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: