Thursday, September 8, 2011

God is With Us

The Birthday of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Now all this took place to fulfill the words spoken by the Lord through the prophet: "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son and they will call him Emmanuel", a name which means ‘God-is-with-us’.
Mt.1:23


Today is the feast day of the birthday of Our Lady.  The Gospel of Saint Matthew outlines the genealogy of Jesus through Mary, proving that Jesus is one of us.  His background includes saints and sinners, the famous and infamous, even nobodies of whom nothing more is known.  Jesus is very much one of us. And yet, He is God!

Saint Paul writes "...His Son might be the eldest of many brothers" Rms. 8:29.  I like the idea that Jesus is my older brother.  My God is not a cold and distant God, He is as close as family.  He is Emmanuel, "God with Us".  Today I relish the knowledge that Jesus is walking beside me as my elder brother.  That sort of knowledge puts a spring in my step.

Jesus, You are my brother.  Thank you for being close to me today.  Help me recognise You in my walk today that I may fellowship with You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: