Thursday, September 15, 2011

Be Real

She waited behind him at his feet, weeping, and her tears fell on his feet, and she wiped them away with her hair; then she covered his feet with kisses and anointed them with the ointment.
Lk.7:38


Jesus is a guest at a Pharisee's house.  A woman of bad name follows Jesus there and lavishly ministers to Him in unashamed repentance. The Pharisee judges both Jesus and the woman secretly in his thoughts while maintaining a facade of hospitality.

It seems the nakedly broken are the ones who always get close to Jesus. Two sinners where in the room with Jesus.  Only one left with sins forgiven and salvation assured.  The woman had no pretension about her sins.  She acknowledged them publicly with her tears on Jesus' feet.  The Pharisee's pride distanced himself from Jesus.  Jesus would have had just as much compassion for the Pharisee but the Pharisee didn't let himself be touched by it.

There is a lesson for me here.  Be real with Jesus.  Acknowledge my sinfulness.  Remove false pride which only distances me from the very one with whom my heart desires to be close.

Lord Jesus.  You know my brokenness, yet You wait for me to come to You with tears of repentance.  Help me remove my pride which stops me getting close to You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: