Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Son of God

The Transfiguration of the Lord
Feast

...a bright cloud covered them with shadow, and from the cloud there came a voice which said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favour. Listen to him.’
Mt.17:5

Today is the feast day of the Transfiguration.  The Gospel from Matthew tells of Jesus taking Peter, James and John up a mountain and then Jesus being transfigured in glory.  Peter, James and John were given the extraordinary privilege of seeing Jesus for who He really is, the Beloved Son of God.

Our Christian faith is based on this truth, that Jesus is the only Beloved Son of God.  What He had to do on the cross then makes sense.  His resurrection then gives hope.  It is also the most common truth that Christians are disputed about.  Jesus is recognised as a good man with wise sayings, a prophet even, but the Son of God? 

This is the wonderful truth that gives me joy today.  I am loved so much by God that He has sacrificed His own Son for me.  I am that precious in His sight.

Thank you Father for the great gift of Your Son.  I receive Him as the ultimate sign of Your love for me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: