Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Little Child

‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'
Mt.18:3,4

 The disciples have asked Jesus who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.  They are thinking as men again, measuring greatness in terms of power and control.  Jesus turns their concept of greatness on its head.  The weakest and most powerless among them were children and these, says Jesus, are the greatest in God's Kingdom.

This teaching of Jesus always challenges my concept of greatness as well.  Without knowing it, I have absorbed the world's standard of greatness. You have to be powerful, rich, brainy and beautiful.  This is counter to the Christian world-view, as we have just read. God places value on meekness, humility, powerlessness, smallness.  These are all things I naturally tend to avoid.  Today I need to turn my concept of greatness on its head and become like a little child.

Lord Jesus, I know my feeble attempts at greatness actually distance me from You.  Help me become like a little child so I may be closer to You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: