Monday, August 22, 2011

Life of the Church

We do not need to tell other people about it: other people tell us how we started the work among you, how you broke with idolatry when you were converted to God and became servants of the real, living God; and how you are now waiting for Jesus, his Son.
1Thes.1:8-10


Paul is writing to the church in Thessalonika after Timothy has returned with his report of the activities there.  What a glowing response from Paul!  His joy at what the church he established has become is rippling through the opening verses of this epistle.  What would Paul write to my local parish?  Or to bring it closer to home, what would he write to my "little church", my family over which I am priest? 

Paul identifies the path of success that the Thessalonians have followed.  They broke with idolatry, became servants and waited for Jesus.  The first two actions are practical and for me involve a daily decision. The last action is an attitude of faith that can't be forced.  It is a natural result that comes from the first two.  When I have broken off from my idolatrous addictions and replaced them with loving servant-hood, looking forward to Jesus' triumphant return makes perfect and joyful sense.

Today I recommit myself to the breaking of idolatry in my life and replace it with loving service to others.  Then I look forward to Jesus' return with joy and hope.

Lord Jesus, help me break from the idols in my life and become a servant of God.  Maranatha, come Lord Jesus come.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: