Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting There

'I choose to pay the last comer as much as I pay you. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why be envious because I am generous?” Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.’
Mt.20:14-16


Jesus is giving a teaching to the chief priests and the elders.  He is addressing the greatest minds in the land and yet He uses parables just as He did with the simple.  His teaching is on a topic the chief priests and elders would consider themselves experts; the kingdom of heaven.  Rather than presenting a kingdom of power and justice according to the Law, Jesus paints a picture of a kingdom where the weak are exulted, where the last shall be first.

My joy is in the Kingdom of Jesus.  If the kingdom of the chief priests were truly the kingdom of heaven then I would have no hope.  I have stood idly waiting.  I have been a late entry.  Yet there is also some of the early worker in me, grumbling at the 'unfairness' of grace dispensed to some even later than me. The concept of "last being first" goes against the norms of the world.  Yet, that is the law of the kingdom of heaven and Jesus is saying that I will benefit from it.

So, do I wait idly, relying on the "unfair" grace of God to get me to heaven?  God forbid.  Jesus clearly indicates that waiting idly is not a good place to be.  Working in the vineyard is where I am meant to be.  Then I will get paid.  How much I get paid is not the point, being deserving of my wages is.  First or last is not the point.  Getting there is.

Lord Jesus, thank you for your "unfair" dispensation of grace into my life.  I deserve nothing yet you offer me everything.  You are my joy.  I place my trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: