Friday, August 26, 2011

Be Ready

'Those who were ready went in with him to the wedding hall and the door was closed. The other bridesmaids arrived later. “Lord, Lord,” they said “open the door for us.” But he replied, “I tell you solemnly, I do not know you.” So stay awake, because you do not know either the day or the hour.’
Mt.25:10-13


Jesus is telling another parable to describe what the kingdom of God will be like. In the parable of the ten bridesmaids there is a clear warning that entry to the kingdom will require being prepared and ready.  Turning up unprepared or late denies entry into the kingdom of God.

Jesus tells a number of times what the kingdom of God will be like.  It was a hot topic then and is a hot topic today.  We all want to know what God's kingdom is like and how we can get there.  All of Jesus' teaching on the kingdom of God tell of a place I am yearning to be but it requires discipline to get there.  Many outside and even within the Church believe the road to heaven is wide and easy and many/most/all will get there.  This is entirely opposite to what Jesus repeatedly warns us.  The road is narrow and few find it (Mt.7:14).

So, I am to stay awake and be ready for I do not know the hour that the Lord is coming.  How?  Well, I think going to Mass today will be a step in the right direction...

Lord Jesus, thank you for calling me further up and further in to the kingdom of God.  Holy Spirit, help me stay awake and be ready for the day Jesus returns to call me into the wedding feast of heaven.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: