Monday, July 25, 2011

Upside Down Pyramid

'Anyone who wants to be great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave, just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’
Mt.20:26-28


Today is the feast day of Saint James the Apostle.  The Gospel today tells of James' and Johns' mother asking Jesus for exulted positions in the coming kingdom.  The very human crowd of ten other disciples express their indignance at the two brothers, secretly wishing they'd had the nerve to ask first.  Jesus then explains that in His kingdom the order of power is very different from that of the world.  In His kingdom the first are slaves to all others, the great are the servants.  It's an up-side-down pyramid with the leader at the bottom carrying all those he leads.

This is a great catholic truth that I struggle to role-model in my own family.  I am the head of my household which makes me the servant of all.  For some ten years I have been official toilet cleaner in my home and I can tell you that you have to hug those things to do the job properly.  It's a small physical act to demonstrate a great spiritual truth.  After all, if Jesus came not to be served but to serve, what greater role-model do I require?

Lord Jesus, You are the Servant King.  Help me role-model authentic leadership in my family, to your glory.
Little Flower, please pray for me. 

No comments: