Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tell Jesus

John’s disciples came and took the body and buried it; then they went off to tell Jesus.
Mt.14:12


John the Baptist has just been beheaded by Herod.  His disciples do the only thing left for then to do, bury the body and then turn to Jesus.

I can only imagine the distress felt by John's disciples who have just had their very worst fears realised.  Their great leader had been jailed by Herod and was now killed in a shameful and gruesome spectacle. Yet, as followers of John they knew enough about Jesus to naturally turn to Him in their hour of grief.

What a great lesson for me.  There are times when calamity hits or when old sins rise up and I fall again.  The temptation is to let grief overwhelm me with despair and hopelessness.  John's disciples show the way forward.  Go off and tell Jesus.  He's waiting for me...

Lord Jesus, to whom else can I turn?  You have the words of everlasting life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: