Sunday, July 24, 2011

Love God and All is Well

We know that by turning everything to their good, God co-operates with all those who love him, with all those he has called according to his purpose.
Rms.8:28


This is one of those classic verses often quoted and often misunderstood, by me at least.  It was very tempting for me as a new Christian to read this verse as saying only good things will happen for me, now I am called by Christ.  As bad things continued to happen in my life I began to realise this is not what is being promised.  Scripture in fact promises the opposite; "Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses;" 2 Corinthians 6:4. 

I tend now to focus on the "those who love Him" part of the verse.  There is a great promise here, but it my take until the next life before I see it realised.  This puts an eternal perspective on things, which is a good discipline for me.  What is happening now, today, I may not have control over but it is not the final say on things.  I just need to keep loving God, which I do have control over.  It's all quite simple really.  Just keep loving God and all will be well... in the end.

Lord Jesus, You know how I get over-whelmed by the here-and-now.  Help me instead Lord to keep focused on You, on Your love for me and my love for You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: