Monday, July 18, 2011

Keep Still

Moses answered the people, ‘Have no fear! Stand firm, and you will see what the Lord will do to save you today: the Egyptians you see today, you will never see again. The Lord will do the fighting for you: you have only to keep still.’
Ex.14:13,14

The Israelites have just escaped from Egypt and Pharaoh has given chase with his army.  The Israelites are seemly trapped between the advancing Egyptians and the sea and so are giving up in despair.   Moses alone trusts in God’s promise of deliverance and without yet knowing what that mighty plan is he encourages the people, “Have no fear… you have only to keep still!”.

When all seemed lost, when the reality of the situation seemed hopeless, all that was left was trust in God.  When the only way out seemed to be to fight their way out and they had no fight left in them, the answer was to keep still and let God do the fighting. 

Keeping still… there is a challenge.  I find it hard to keep still, especially in my mind.  I am constantly thinking and many of those thoughts tend to be anxious ones.  Worries about my family, my job, my health, my finances… all these at times seem like an advancing army coming to enslave me.  The answer?  Trust God and keep still…

Lord Jesus, You are my defender, You are my peace, I place my trust in You.  Holy Spirit of God, help me to keep still today…
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: