Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hidden Treasure

Jesus said to the crowds, ‘The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field which someone has found; he hides it again, goes off happy, sells everything he owns and buys the field.
Mt.13:44


Jesus is talking with His disciples, explaining to them what the kingdom of heaven is like.  He is using word-pictures of things that the people of his day would understand - yeast and dough, wheat and weeds, treasure and pearls, farming with seeds, fishing with nets.  These tangible things Jesus uses to explain the intangible truths of the kingdom of heaven.

This highlights for me my daily battle.  The tangible things of the world clamor for my attention and if I let them, my worship.  But as Saint Augustine said, "My soul is restless Lord until it rests in You".  I follow an invisible God, one whom I can't see and touch and yet who is my greatest reality.

I remember a time in my life when I didn't recognise God and the world had my full and devoted attention.  It was the most troubled and anxiety-ridden time of my life.  I never want to go back there.  Today I recommit myself to my invisible God, my treasure hidden in a field that I give up everything to posses.

Father in heaven, You are my God and I am Your son.  I give my all to You as You gave Your Son to me.  Jesus I am Yours.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: