Sunday, June 12, 2011

Under The Influence

PENTECOST

No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord’ unless he is under the influence of the Holy Spirit.
1Cor.12:3


Saint Paul is writing to the Church of Corinth giving instruction and guidance, particularly on the gifts of the Holy Spirit. In today's second reading Paul emphasises that the Holy Spirit is not an option for believers but is essential so His gifts can build up the Church.

I was about five years into my Christian walk before I received Baptism in the Spirit.  However, the Spirit must have been active in my life prior to that event because I had publicly declared "Jesus is Lord" as part of my conversion and entry into the Church.  Certainly, I never started exercising the Spirit's gifts until after Baptism in the Spirit... and that is the key.  It's allowing the Holy Spirit to "influence" me that makes all the difference.  Suddenly I couldn't get enough of The Word.  The Mass became alive to me.  I began to meet the Risen Jesus in the Sacraments.  I became a better lover.  Don't take my world for it, ask my family.

I need to yield again and again to the Holy Spirit in my life so I can be an authentic and effective follower of Jesus, starting again form today.

Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.
Lead me with your power, satisfy my needs.
Only You can make me grow,
fill me up and make me whole.
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.

Little Flower please pray for me.

No comments: