Thursday, June 9, 2011

Be One

Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said: ‘Holy Father, I pray not only for these, but for those also who through their words will believe in me. May they all be one ...so that the world may believe it was you who sent me.
Jn.17:20,21

Jesus is praying for His followers just before His passion and death. He shifts the focus of His priestly prayer from His current followers to His future followers. He starts praying for me. Jesus' plea to the Father is that the Church present and future may be unified. Why? So the world may believe.

Disunity among Christendom has been Satan's greatest success since the foundation of the Church. Where faith leads, schism seems to follow. It is our disunity that makes the Good News unbelievable to an unbelieving world. Conversely, where there is unity the Good News is received and the Church grows.

How unified am I with the Church, with my Bishop, my parish, the little church which is my family? Unity with these is not an option, it is essential if I want to be an authentic witness to Jesus, starting today.

Lord Jesus, You prayed that I would be one with my brothers and sisters in You. Forgive me Lord for the times I have spoken against the Church hierarchy, against my priest, against my fellow parishioners and even against my family. Help me Lord to look past the differences and love them none the less as You have looked past my weaknesses and still loved me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: