Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Never Hunger, Never Thirst

‘Sir,’ they said ‘give us that bread always.’ Jesus answered:  ‘I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst.’
Jn.6:35


Jesus has just fed the five thousand and is now being followed by a large mob clamoring for more to eat. He picks this time to reveal what it is He is truly offering; His body and His blood.

As a potential convert, this was the stumbling block to my entry into the Church for a number of years. Like many of the listeners to Jesus, I said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” Jn.6:60.  As a result I sat in the pews for years watching my wife and children go up for Holy Communion while thinking, "well, I'm a 95% Catholic just by being here.  This isn't that important". 

It wasn't until I believed in the true presence, believed in what Jesus actually says time and time and time again in John Chapter 6 that His actual body and actual blood is the Bread of Life He was refering to, that I realised that being there is only 5% of being Catholic. The 95% is saying "Amen!" to His Body and His Blood offered at Holy Communion.  The result? I am never hungry, I am never thirsty and I have every hope of eternal life with Him. 

I need to go to Mass, today...

Lord Jesus, thank you for the amazing gift of yourself offered totally at every Mass.  You are my Bread of Life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.
 

No comments: