Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Connected

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me, with me in him, bears fruit in plenty; for cut off from me you can do nothing.
Jn.15:5


Jesus continues His discourse at the Last Supper.  He uses the powerful analogy of the vine and branches, something that every man in that room would clearly understand.  Preparing His disciples for His imminent passion and death, He says a seemingly contradictory thing, that they must remain connected to Him. How? ..."you remain in me and my words remain in you".

This scripture speaks powerfully to me.  I have known times when I have not been connected to Jesus, times I have slowly but steadily drifted away.  I recognise when this has happened when I find myself suddenly struggling with temptations and sin that never bothered me before.  I had become disconnected from Jesus.  How?  In every case I had neglected His Word, stopped my daily prayer time. 

Conversely, I am most at peace, most filled with joy when I am regular in my daily prayer time, reading and meditating on His Word.  My daily prayer time is not just a nice thing to do, it is essential for a full and fruitful life.  This is a life-long commitment.  I recommit to my morning prayer, starting today...

Jesus my friend, You are my vine to whom I am connected to for life.  Send me Your Spirit to help me stay connected, for cut off from You I can do nothing.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: