Friday, April 1, 2011

Love God and Love Others

‘Which is the first of all the commandments?’ Jesus replied, ‘This is the first: Listen, Israel, the Lord our God is the one Lord, and you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: You must love your neighbour as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.’
Mk.12:28-31


A Scribe comes to Jesus with an authentic question for a change, not one to try and trick Him. So Jesus gives an authentic answer.  The resulting dialogue recorded in Mark gives one of the greatest encapsulations on how I am to live my Christian walk -  Love God and love others.

This "way to follow the Way" is constantly stretching me.  Love is such a high ideal that I can never say I have fully exercised it.  My love of self sometimes distracts me from loving others and even from loving God. And sometimes others aren't very lovely.  And yet there the commandment lies - Love God and love others.  When I achieve something of its fulness I know it is such a glorious and fulfilling way to live. 

So here I go again...Today I look for opportunities to love God and love others.  It's simply the best way to live life in its fulness.

Jesus, lover of my soul, today I'm calling on your help to love You and love others.  You are perfect love, help me in my imperfection.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: