Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Great I Am

The Jews then said, ‘You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!’ Jesus replied:
‘I tell you most solemnly, before Abraham ever was, I Am.’
At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.
Jn.8:57-59

Jesus' discourse with the Jews has the them retrenching more and more while Jesus speaks more clearly about who He is, culminating in Jesus finally saying the name He knew they would understand... "I Am".
This highlights for me the difference between the Old and New Testaments. The Jews could not grasp the new revelation of God in Jesus, the triune God to whom all time is one.

This statement of Jesus' is the great divide even today.  Many other religions recognise Jesus as a great teacher, even a prophet, ...but God?  Even non-believers will hold that Jesus was a good man who had many wise teachings, ...but God?  Recognising Jesus as God means submitting to Him and that is the stumbling block.  Today I submit anew to Jesus, my Lord, my King, my God.

Lord Jesus,  thank you for the gift of faith you have given me. I submit myself to Your love today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: