Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Entertaining Angels

Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus to say, ‘Where do you want us to make the preparations for you to eat the passover?’ ‘Go to so-and-so in the city’ he replied ‘and say to him, “The Master says: My time is near. It is at your house that I am keeping Passover with my disciples.”’ The disciples did what Jesus told them and prepared the Passover.
Mt.26:17-19


Jesus is resolutely heading for Jerusalem knowing He is also heading to His passion and death.  Where previously Jesus has escaped death saying "my time has not yet come", He now says "My time is near".

I've always been intrigued by this passage's refferal to the mysterious "Mr. So and So".  He is never named or referred to again. It could be guessed that he was a disciple of Jesus, but maybe not.  I try to imagine what it would be like to play host to God.  We know Zachaeus was placed in a similar situation when Jesus called him down out of his tree.  I can't think of a greater honor.

The charism of hospitality is a wonderful thing that I need to foster.  I have friends who have this charism.  They are the sort of people who are so welcoming and fun to be around. Scripture says; "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."  Heb.13:2. Maybe I could even be entertaining Jesus...

Lord Jesus, you were welcomed into a house where you bestowed the amazing privilege of  celebrating the very first Mass.  I pray for a spirit of hospitality that home may be a blessing to all.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: