Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pick Up My Cross

If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.
Lk.9:23-25


Peter has just declared who Jesus really is, “God’s Messiah”.  In a moment of intimacy with the disciples Jesus then reveals what He has come to do; His passion, death and resurrection. After this stark description of what is just around the corner, Jesus then invites all to follow Him. Ummm, can I just think about that first...

The passion and death part of following Jesus tends to over-shadow the resurrection.  Yes, I must deny myself and take up my cross, but never forget that this leads to a resurrection.  This is the real destination in following Jesus.  It can't be reached without a passion and a death, but oh the glory of the resurrection!  That is the final say on why I follow Jesus.  This invitation is for me, today...

Lord Jesus, You know my fears.  I want to follow You Lord but I get fixated on the pain of denial.  Help me focus on the true destination that following You leads to; a resurrected life in glory with You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: