Saturday, March 12, 2011

He Came for the Sick

‘It is not those who are well who need the doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the virtuous, but sinners to repentance.’
Lk.5:32


Jesus has just called Matthew to follow Him.  Matthew "leaves everything" and follows Jesus by first holding a great party, inviting all his friends to meet with Jesus.  The Pharisees are offended by Matthew and his companions.  Jesus is attracted to them.  Their naked need of Him makes them candidates for healing.

Matthew knew he was sick and so was irresistibly attracted to the doctor.  His lack masks and pretense meant Jesus could readily do what He had come to do; heal the sick and call to God.   When Jesus says He came to heal the sick not the well, He is saying He came for everyone.  We are all sick and in need of the doctor.  We are all sinners who need to repent.  He came for me...

Lord Jesus, I drop my pride and masks before You that You may do your work in my life.  Have mercy on me Lord for I am a sinful man.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: