Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Create in Me a Clean Heart

A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit. Do not drive me from your presence, nor take from me your holy spirit. For you do not desire sacrifice; a burnt offering you would not accept. My sacrifice, God, is a broken spirit; God, do not spurn a broken, humbled heart.
Ps.51:12-13.18-19

Every year the Church embraces Psalm 51 which becomes our Lenten mantra.  It is written by King David after he has been convicted of his adultery with with Bathsheba and murder of her husband. The Psalm shows the true quality of the man despite his great fall. God goes so far as to call David "a man after my own heart" Acts 13:22. The secret of David's great stature is his broken, humbled heart.

Here is the great lesson for me today.  Yes, I am a sinner and yes, I am redeemable.  The antidote? ...a broken humbled heart.

Lord Jesus.  I know a prayer for humility is a dangerous thing, but with the sure knowledge that You will never leave me, this is what I ask. Create in me a clean heart, renew a right spirit within me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: