Friday, March 18, 2011

Condition of the Heart

So then, if you are bringing your offering to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar, go and be reconciled with your brother first, and then come back and present your offering.
Mt.5:23


Jesus has just given the Beatitudes at the start of His great Sermon on the Mount.  He is laying down the radical foundations of Christian living.  A cornerstone of this new way of life is forgiveness.  The regenerate life is founded on reconciliation, nothing less.

As always, Jesus is talking about what goes on in my heart, not what is just surface virtue.  I need to do a "condition of the heart" check before I go to the altar at Mass.

Lord Jesus, You know my heart better than I do myself.  Help me be honest with myself, that I may be reconciled with my brother first and then bring You my offering.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

 

No comments: