Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Courage! It is I!

‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’
Mk.6:50

Jesus has just fed the five thousand.  He is off in the hills to pray.  Seeing His disciples struggling against a heavy sea on the lake, He walks out to them.  In their fear and ignorance they cry out, terrified. Jesus allays their terror with His beautiful call; ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’

This Gospel reading reminds me of a scene from CS Lewis's book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The Dawn Treader is sailing into the terrors of Shadow Island where everyone's worst nightmare appears to be true.  Lucy is alone in the Crows Nest and is succumbing to her her darkest fears when Aslan, in the form of a seagull, cries out, "Take courage dear heart!". Nothing immediately changes in the Dawn Treader's circumstances but everything changes for Lucy.  She knows she is not alone, that her greatest help is there right beside her.

There are times in my ignorance and fear, in my lack of faith I am terrified. Things over whelm me and I am afraid of being swamped.  Ghosts from the past and imaginings of the future haunt me. At these times I need to hear the cry of love from Jesus; ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’  The circumstances may not immediately change but everything changes for me.  My greatest help is there, right beside me.

Lord Jesus, You are the source of my courage.  You are my rock and anchor when the storm gets rough, when I feel small, inadequate, vulnerable. Your perfect love for me casts out all fear.  Alleluia!

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: