Saturday, December 11, 2010

Turn Your Heart

Elijah! Has anyone reason to boast as you have? Taken up in the whirlwind of fire, in a chariot with fiery horses; designated in the prophecies of doom to allay God’s wrath before the fury breaks, to turn the hearts of fathers towards their children, and to restore the tribes of Jacob.
Sirach 48:4-10


The book of Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) shows veneration to the great figures of the Old Testament, including Elijah.  He is identified as the one whose intercession allayed God's wrath and restored the chosen people.  The restoration is portrayed in that beautiful expression; "turn the hearts of fathers towards their children".  Imagine how families would be restored if every father turned his heart off himself and on to his children. 

Jesus, in today's Gospel tells that Elijah has returned as prophesied, as John the Baptist.  John the Baptist's clarion call was simple; repent and turn back to God.  This is the call that will "turn the hearts of fathers towards their children, and to restore the tribes of Jacob".   This is my call today, half way through Advent.

Lord Jesus, today I confess my brokenness and turn back to You. You are my way, my truth, my life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: