Friday, September 10, 2010

Remove the Plank

Hypocrite! Take the plank out of your own eye first, and then you will see clearly enough to take out the splinter that is in your brother’s eye.
Lk.6:42

In Saint Luke's account of the sermon on the mount, Jesus is warning against judging others. He likens it to the blind leading the blind, or focusing on my brother's speck in his eye when there is a plank in my own. Jesus returns to this warning often in the Gospels.  Why? Because He knows that how I judge defines how I will be judged at the end of time.

There is a little lawyer within me that surfaces way to often to judge others around me. If I don't want his acid tongue accusing me at the end of time, I need to silence him.  The only judge is the Lord.  I have been commanded to love my neighbor, not judge him.  Today I choose to be a lover not a lawyer.

Lord Jesus, you know my thoughts.  I confess my judging heart.  Replace it with a heart of love I pray.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: