Friday, August 6, 2010

Transfiguration

Jesus took with him Peter and John and James and went up the mountain to pray. As he prayed, the aspect of his face was changed...
Lk.9:28

Today is the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord.  The Gospel takes us to the time and place of this glorious event that Peter, a witness, later says is not a cleverly invented myth.  It happened!

Something special happens when we take the time to "go up the mountain and pray".  It's at times like this that change can happen.  I know for me, my faith journey milestones are usually at "mountain top" places, camps and retreats I have attended. It's at these places that I have gained a glimpse of heavenly glory, that I have spoken with the prophets and had them speak to me.

Jesus, James, John and Peter didn't stay on the mountain.  They had to descend back into the valley to continue their lives.  But they never forgot what had occurred.  It had changed them as Peter attests in his epistle.

Today on the Feast of the Transfiguration I remember my mountain-top times with gratitude at the change they brought about in me.  Another retreat is coming up in October.  Have I registered yet....?

Lord Jesus, thank you for those mountain-top glimpses of glory you have given me.  Help me carry those times into my dust of daily battle, that I never loose sight of you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: