Thursday, August 12, 2010

Forgive and Live

And in his anger the master handed him over to the torturers till he should pay all his debt. And that is how my heavenly Father will deal with you unless you each forgive your brother from your heart.
Mt.18:34,35

Jesus is not always the soft cuddly-toy we would like Him to be. Sometimes He delivers a hard message such as in today's Gospel when He talks to Peter about forgiveness.  Peter thought he was being magnanimous when suggesting he should forgive seven times.  Jesus raises the bar and infers forgiveness is never an option.  It is a command.

I have seen the cancer of unforgiveness at work.  The sufferers have literally been "handed over to the torturers".  Jesus' apparent harsh words about this are actually the way to liberation.  I am freed from the torturers whenever I forgive.  The world says get your revenge, it is your right.  Jesus says give up your rights and live.  Who do I need to forgive today?

Lord Jesus, you know how hard it is for me to forgive.  Empower me to forgive from my heart that I may be set free.
Blessed Mother Mary McKillop, please pray for me.

No comments: