Friday, August 27, 2010

The Foolishness of the Cross

The language of the cross may be illogical to those who are not on the way to salvation, but those of us who are on the way see it as God’s power to save.... And so, while the Jews demand miracles and the Greeks look for wisdom, here are we preaching a crucified Christ;
1Cor,1:18,22

Corinth in the ancient world was a great and populous port and so was a magnet for for every sort of philosophy and religion.  It was a notorious center of immorality. Paul's letter's to the Church of Corinth gave much-needed instruction and guidance. The lives of Christians flew in the face of the lives of those who surrounded them.  The foolishness of the Cross offended everyone and it was tempting for the Church to water down that part of their faith.  Paul put a stop to that!

Things haven't changed much in two thousand years.  Every philosophy, religion and immorality abound in the society I live in.  Even among Christians the cross is offensive;  "you Catholics are obsessed about the crucifix".  Well, yes I am.  It reminds me of the greatest act of love the world has ever known.  It reminds me of how much God loves me.  Today I will undertake a veneration of my crucified Lord.

Lord Jesus.  You lived, died and rose again!  Alleluia!  Thank you for your great act of love by climbing on that cross and handing out the nails.  Because of this I am saved.


Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: