Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Cheerful Giver

Each one should give what he has decided in his own mind, not grudgingly or because he is made to, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2Cor.9:7

The ancient city of Corinth was a major port that attracted every type of person and philosophy.  Consequently the Church there struggled with every type of worldly vice.  In today's first reading Paul instructs on how to counter selfish greed by generous alms giving.

It's funny how a $20 note looks so small handing it over at McDonalds and yet looks so huge when placing on the collection plate.  I find alms giving hard.  My wife doesn't.  She's forever stuffing $20 notes into people's letter boxes or sending money off to our starving-student children.  She truly is a cheerful giver.

My tight fist needs to be replaced by an open hand.and then my "good deeds will never be forgotten" 


Lord Jesus, help me become a cheerful giver that I may be more loved by You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.








No comments: