Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Revealed to Mere Children

Jesus exclaimed, ‘I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to mere children.
Mt.11:25

What are "These things" that Jesus refers to? A quick look over the earlier chapters of the Gospel of Matthew shows:
  •  things He taught in the Sermon on the Mount.
  •  things He instructed the twelve while commissioning them.
  •  things He rebuked in the Scribes and Pharisees.
  •  things He demonstrated in His miracles.
These are all things that were plainly revealed by Jesus, but they were only perceived by the simple-of-heart.

Theology has its place but, according to Jesus, it is not what is required to see the "things" of Jesus.  The beauty of my faith is its simplicity.  The more child-like I become (spontaneous, now focussed, uncomplicated, transparent, guileless, fun-seeking) the more I will see and understand Jesus in my world.

Perhaps I need to spend more time with my eleven year old daughter today and learn from her the ways of Jesus.

Jesus my Lord. You know how I intellectualise.  Help me simplify my life.  Help me become a mere child that I may see you.
Little Flower, Sister Therese of the child Jesus, pray for me.

No comments: