Friday, July 16, 2010

Love and Mercy

If you had understood the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the blameless. For the Son of Man is master of the sabbath.
Mt.12:8

During a Sabbath Jesus' disciples picked and ate ears of corn as they were hungry while traveling.  This earned a rebuke from the watching Pharisees but Jesus defends His disciples actions, calling on a higher law, the law of mercy.

There is a little Pharisee within me that is very quick to criticise those whom I judge are breaking the law, especially breaking the laws of the Church.  Jesus reminds me today that there is a greater law to apply to such people.  A greater law to apply to myself.  The laws of love and mercy transcend petty squabbles and judgments, blessing both the giver and receiver.

Lord Jesus. Today help me be a dispenser of Love and Mercy above all else.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: