Friday, July 2, 2010

He Came for Me

‘It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. Go and learn the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice. And indeed I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.’
Mt.9:13

Jesus has just called Matthew the tax collector to follow Him, which Matthew immediately does.  In typical Jesus fashion, the next scene has Jesus eating with Matthew, and of course Matthew's not so virtuous friends.
The Pharisees, misreading why Jesus has come, criticise  His association with such sinners.  Jesus' reply sets the picture straight; "I came for sinners", which means He came for all, including the Pharisees if they would but see it.  The ones who receive Jesus more readily are always the ones who are painfully aware of their own brokenness.

This is good news for me.  There is a sick man within me that needs the Doctor.  He came for me.

Lord, I am a sinful man.  Heal my wound that I my be restored and then dine with You.
Saint Matthew the Apostle, pray for me.

No comments: