Friday, July 9, 2010

Go!

Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Remember, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be cunning as serpents and yet as harmless as doves.
Mt.10:16

Jesus has taught His disciples in the Sermon on the Mount.  He has displayed His authority by miraculous healings.  He is now commissioning the twelve disciples to go and do the same.
Jesus calls himself the Good Shepherd and yet here He is sending His sheep out among wolves.  What shepherd would do that to his sheep?  Surely he should be protecting his sheep from the wolves?
There is a time for shepherding and a time for commissioning.  In today's Gospel, Jesus is commissioning, sending out.  That is how the Kingdom of God is proclaimed.
The inference here is this is what every follower of Jesus must eventually do. ...What I must do.  Go out!
The twelve, and all followers by default, are promised nothing but hardship from their apostolic endeavors.  Indeed all but Judas and John are eventually to die a martyrs death.
But Jesus promises, "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven". Mt.10:32 What a promise!  To have Jesus Himself be my advocate before God the Father.  There's a motivating force to go out among the wolves.

Jesus, You know my fears, my reluctance to go out from my comfort zone.  Fill me with courage and zeal that I may boldly be Good News to a world starving to be hearing about You... today.
Saint Matthew, pray for me.

No comments: