Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fear Not.

Can you not buy two sparrows for a penny? And yet not one falls to the ground without your Father knowing. Why, every hair on your head has been counted. So there is no need to be afraid; you are worth more than hundreds of sparrows.
Mt.10:29-31


Jesus is commissioning the twelve disciples.  He is confronting what He knows is their greatest obstacle to becoming effective witnesses... fear.
If proliferation of numbers was the measure of a species success, the common sparrow would have to be up there.  There is not a land mass (save the polar regions) that does not have them teeming. Two for a penny means worth next to nothing, yet Jesus says even these have the attention of God the Father.
And here am I, according to Jesus worth more than hundreds of sparrows.  What a comfort to know that I am worthy of God's loving attention, that I am never outside of His protection.
That's enough to make me step out in the name of Jesus without fear... today.

Father in heaven.  I walk into this day knowing you are with me.  I have no need to be afraid.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: