Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shine

“No one lights a lamp to put it under a tub; they put it on the lamp-stand where it shines for everyone in the house. In the same way your light must shine in the sight of men, so that, seeing your good works, they may give the praise to your Father in heaven.’
Mt.5:16

Jesus is sitting before the crowds giving His great Sermon on the Mount, the teaching that lays the foundation for Christian living.  Immediately following the beatitudes He exhorts His followers to be light salt and light.  These are both physical things whose properties affect those around them for the better.  Salt brings out added richness of flavour; light expels darkness and shows the safe way forward.

There is an imperative element to Jesus’ words here; “your light MUST shine”.  I am not to live my day as a recluse.  I have an obligation to affect those about me for good, not for my own glory but that my Father in Heaven is glorified.

Lord Jesus.  Let the glow of your love shine through me today, that my Father in Heaven may be praised.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: