Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Love my Enemies

But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven.
Mt.5:44,45

Jesus continues to lay down the foundations of christian living in His Sermon on the Mount.  He now gets into the real meaty stuff; stuff like "love your enemies".  If there is one thing that non-believers know about Christian theology it's this quote from Jesus; "Love your enemies", which is strange as it is probably the thing that we are the worst at doing.

This is where the Christian faith is demonstrated at its most radical.  The world shouts that we must hate our enemies, that we must conquer them, get revenge from them. Jesus simply says love them.  There is a freedom in this that the world cannot give and it involves me giving up my rights.  It's not until I let go of my deserved claims of retribution and actually forgive and even love that I am truly free of the injustice done to me.

Easy to say... hard to do.

Lord Jesus, You know my difficulties to love.  Help me be so drenched in Your love that it my spill out over all those about me.  The rain falls on both the  just and the wicked .


Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: