Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Grace to Know the Difference

‘Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar – and to God what belongs to God.’ 
Mk.12:17

Some Pharisees and Herodians are sent to Jesus to deliberately catch Him out in what He said.  The trap is set in the question, "Should we pay taxes?"  Jesus sees their hypocrisy and exposes it.  But He goes further and gives the only true answer to the question.  Give to each what is its due.

Jesus' answer reflects the human condition.  We are in the world but not of it.  We are here, with all its responsibilities, but we aren't going to stay here.  Our goal is there, with Him.  This creates a tension in my life but tension isn't always bad.  It's what makes the Christian life exciting.  Yes, I have a mortgage to pay, a job to attend, family to provide for and taxes to pay.  But (and it's a big BUT), heaven is my home, Jesus shows my way there and I look forward to Him coming for me with joy and hope.  What a way to live!

Lord Jesus, help me to give back to Caesar what is his and give back to You what is yours and have the grace to know the difference.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: