Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Peace I Give You

Fifth Week of Easter

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you,
a peace the world cannot give, this is my gift to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.
Jn.14:27

Jesus has just washed the disciple’s feet at the Last Supper and is now giving His final words to them, words of comfort.

I remember sitting in Mass as a non-Catholic, listening to these words being said by the priest at the start of the consecration.  Even though I was observing the Mass through sceptical eyes, that prayer resonated within me.  I wasn’t a peace-filled person and something within me wanted that peace that was being offered.  It was the first attractive face of Jesus I started to recognise.

The appeal of this gift from Jesus is still there.  I need the peace beyond understanding that He continues to offer me.  Saint Paul said ‘We all have to experience many hardships before we enter the kingdom of God and he’d just been stoned and left for dead.  Jesus’ gift means that no matter what my circumstance is, I can be a peace-filled person.  And having that peace, I can pass the gift on to others… today.




No comments: