Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Law of Upsidedown

‘…anyone who wants to become great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be slave to all. For the Son of Man himself did not come to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’
Mk. 10:45

Jesus and the disciples are approaching Jerusalem when He calls His disciples aside to explain very bluntly about His passion and death that are imminent.  The disciples still do not grasp what is about to happen, to the point where James and John ask to have a share in the “glory” the Jesus is about to receive.

Jesus takes this moment of confusion to present again the true order that applies in the Kingdom of God…. The greatest are the least, the first shall be last.

Even today I struggle with the law of upside-down that rules in the Kingdom of God.  The allure of the world is about power and prestige.  It makes itself very attractive.  And yet as Peter writes in the first reading today, “all flesh is grass and its glory like the wild flower’s”.  Yes, it is beautiful for a time but it eventually withers and dies.

Eventually I am going to wither and die.  Praise be to God that is not the end of my story.  When I focus on the” law of upside-down” I have peace in my withering as this is not the measure of my worth.  I just need to be a servant and then I will be great… for today, for eternity.

Lord Jesus, You are my servant king.  I align myself with You.  Give me a servant’s heart that you may be glorified in me.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: