Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Gift of the Holy Spirit

Fifth Week of Easter

In fact God, who can read everyone’s heart, showed his approval of them by giving the Holy Spirit to them just as he had to us.
Acts.15:8

Paul and Barnabus have returned to Jerusalem to discuss with the elders and Apostles what should their approach be to pagans who convert.  Peter supports accepting them without burdening them with Jewish laws.  He argues from his own experience where converts were immediately given the Holy Spirit on accepting the Good News of Jesus.

The Holy Spirit was recognised by the early church as a stamp of approval, an imprimatur from God Himself.   The Holy Spirit was a desirable friend, helper and advocate.  Do I hunger as much for the Holy Spirit?

Come Holy Spirit of God.  Empower me that I my be a greater witness to the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: