Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's in a Name?

Fourth Week of Easter

SCRIPTURE
 It was at Antioch that the disciples were first called ‘Christians.’
Acts.11:26

OBSERVATION
The persecution following the martyrdom of Stephen has scattered the followers of Jesus throughout Asia Minor.    They preached as they traveled and so the Good News of Jesus was spread as a result, one of the most fertile grounds being Antioch. Here not only Jews were converted but Greeks as well.  Barnabas was sent to check on the unusual happenings at Antioch and was pleased with what he saw.  It was at Antioch that the followers of the way of Jesus became distinctive in their life style to the degree that they became named as "Christians".

APPLICATION
What's in a name?  Is my life style so radical that others would readily call me Christian, would readily call me Catholic.  When I first converted twenty-one years ago these names felt strange but also exciting.  I knew I was going against the flow and I wore these labels with pride.  Have I become complacent in my life-style?  Do I no longer stand out as radically different? My zeal for Jesus needs to regain a few degrees of heat.  I need to be more worthy of the name.

PRAYER
There is no other name by which men can be saved, there is no other name under heaven.  Lord Jesus, may I be worthy of your beautiful name.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: