Friday, April 23, 2010

Eat My Flesh, Drink My Blood

Third Week of Easter

SCRIPTURE
 As I, who am sent by the living Father, myself draw life from the Father, so whoever eats me will draw life from me.
Jn.6:57

OBSERVATION
The crowd has chased after Jesus following the miracle of the feeding of the five-thousand.  Jesus confronts their misunderstanding of who He is and why he had come by explaining it is His flesh that must be desired to be eaten, not just bread.  Even as people start grumbling about this and start drifting away, Jesus doesn't water down what He is saying.  In fact He emphasises it;  ‘I tell you most solemnly, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have life in you." Jn.6:53
This is the great establishment of the Holy Eucharist which Jesus then performs at the Last Supper.

APPLICATION
I want the life of Jesus in me.  Holy Eucharist offers me that, not because of any teaching of man, but because Jesus Himself said it will.  I will approach the Eucharist with a new sense of awe as to who and what it is I am receiving.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus, thank you for the gift of your flesh and your blood that promises me eternal life!  Jesus in the Eucharist, I trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: