Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Servant King

Holy Thursday.  Mass of the Lord's Supper.

SCRIPTURE
‘Do you understand’ he said ‘what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you.’
Jn.13:15

OBSERVATION
Jesus has has just washed the disciple's feet at the Last Supper.  This included the feet of Judas, both of them knowing he was about to betray Jesus.
This is unique!  There is no other religion that has its Lord acting as a servant this way.  Jesus is the Servant King and in His own words is role modeling how His followers should relate to one another.  The hierarchy of the Catholic Church follows this blueprint.  The Pope is known as the servant of the servants of God.

APPLICATION
I am selective about who and when I serve.  I certainly would not find it easy to serve one who was about to betray me.  My attitude needs to change.  Today.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus. You are the Servant King.  Give me a servant's heart that I may copy what you have done.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: