Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Greater Love

Feast Day of Saint Peter Chanel, Priest, Martyr




SCRIPTURE
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
Jn.15:12,13


OBSERVATION
Today is the Feast of Saint Peter Chanel, Priest and Martyr.  His zeal to be a missionary was thwarted for many years before he was sent to the island of Futuna in the Pacific where he was murdered by the locals.  Chanel's martyrdom accomplished his missionary work, with most of the island converting, including his murderer.


APPLICATION
The greatest act of love is to lay done your life.  The obvious inference is that this is what Jesus did for me and I should do likewise. It is a great calling but not one I would willing rush into. I'm sure Saint Peter didn't plan on his martyrdom.  And yet he did die for those he came to serve in Jesus name. 


PRAYER 
Lord Jesus, I do love the gift of my life. I surrender it to you.
Saint Peter Chanel, pray for me.

No comments: